Thanks to my gender I’ve known from a very young age that the expectations for me were radically different than the expectations for a child born to the opposite gender.
Thanks to my gender I was taught that it was preferable to be;
- caring (even towards those who would hurt us – sometimes especially towards them)
- gentle (no raised voices, no swearing, no anger)
- accommodating (we learn to compromise, to put other people’s needs ahead of our own)
- carers (the eternal mothers, even before puberty)
- pacifists (we are mediators, the calming ones)